Interesting Facts & Statistics
- Lihue covers a total area of 7.1 square miles, with 6.3 square miles being covered by land, and 0.8 square miles being covered by water.
- Kauai County consists of 23 communities, with Lihue being the county seat.
- Lihue consists of 22.8% Whites, 0.2% African Americans, 49.2% Asian Americans, 6.4% Pacific Islander, and 21.4% other races
- Lihue is served by 3 different transportation outlets that include the Lihue airport, the Nawiliwili Bay seaport, and the Kauai public bus system that covers the whole island.
- Lihue has 2 elementary schools, and is served by the Kamakahelei Middle School and Kauai County High School.
- Lihue has an elevation of 220 ft.
- Lihue has a population density of 898.3 people per square mile.
Current Events & Attractions in Lihue
- Annual Kauai Polynesian Festival
- Coconut Festival
- Hawaii Alive! Kauai’s Best Luau
- Kiele Course – Kauai Lagoons Golf Club
- Smith Family Garden Luau
- Kauai Plantation Railway
- Kauai Convention Hall War Memorial
- South Pacific Dinner & Theatre
- Kilohana Plantation Estate
- Wailua Falls and Island Adventures
- Wings Over Kauai Air Tours
- Kipu Ranch Adventures and Kai Bear Sportfishing
Lihue Community Statistics
- Lihue has a population of 6,455, which consists of 3,210 males and 3,245 females.
- The unemployment rate in Lihue is 5.3%, compared to 4.6% for the State of Hawaii.
- There are 35.49% renters in Lihue, compared to 64.51% of those who own their homes.
- Rental vacancy rates in Lihue are 10.30%.
- The median age in Lihue is 44.1 years old, compared to 55.3% of the median age of all Hawaii residents.
- Median household income is $61,138 in Lihue, compared to $52,175 for all adult U.S. Residents
- Per capita income is $21,009 locally, compared to $27,466 for all adult U.S. Residents
- The median home value in Lihue is $439,529
- 86.3% of Lihue residents have a high school diploma or greater and 22.6% of residents have a 4 year college degree.
Lihue Rental Statistics
- In 2014, the average monthly rent amount in Lihue was $1,107 per month for a single family home, and $872 for a 1 bedroom apartment.
- 20% of Lihue residents pay 30% or more of their annual household income in rent.
- As of 2013, 35.49% of Lihue residents were renters, compared to 36.98% of renters in the U.S.
- Owner average household size is 2.7 people
- The rent to price ratio in Lihue is 0.49%.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.